G3 Wick Lysimeter
drainage, temperature & EC measurements
The Decagon/METER Group G3 Drain Gage is a wick lysimeter for the accurate measurement of near surface drainage in the vadose zone. The G3 Drain Gage is typically installed beneath the root zone for drainage measurements but it can also be installed in other locations. Therefore, the G3 wick lysimeter is not only ideal for hydrology studies, but it can also be used for nutrient leaching studies.
Advantages of the G3 Drain Gage wick lysimeter include:
- Manual or automated measurements
- Connect to data loggers with remote download and alarms
- Simultaneous measurements of drainage, temperature and electrical conductivity (EC)
- EC measurements can be used to estimate soil nutrient leaching
Use the Drain Gauge to determine the volume of water and chemicals draining from the vadose zone into groundwater. Once installed, water samples are easily collected through the surface port for analysis of chemicals, fertilizers, and other contaminants. The Drain Gauge is constructed from inert materials and will not react with compounds collected in the sample reservoir.
One challenge with lysimeter measurements is that water can flow around receptacles buried in the ground. To correct for this, our Drain Gauge uses an ingenious duct and wick design to keep soil tension in the soil column similar to that of the natural soil at the installation site.
customize your drain gauge
For most applications we recommend using the additional Drain Gauge Sensor to measure conductivity, temperature, depth, and to help determine when to empty the sample reservoir. For installation sites that are remote or have high drainage rates, we recommend using the AutoPump to take samples or empty the reservoir automatically. The sensor and AutoPump can be easily integrated with pre-installed units and are ideal for use with a cellular data logger.
- Completely sealed system protects from high water tables
- 61 mm drainage capacity allows for large sampling volumes
- Can be used with the optional EC sensor to monitor solute fluxes
- Can be used with the optional AutoPump to automatically draw samples on remote or high drainage deployments
whole system monitoring solutions
Our systems not only support dendrometers, but related sensors such as sap flow, soil moisture, weather parameters, and more.
At Edaphic Scientific we want to work with you from the start of your project through to its completion. We can provide:
- Assistance with project and experimental design
- Procurement of all monitoring equipment, including sensors, data loggers and data management software. Edaphic Scientific is a one-stop shop where we can source and find any necessary equipment for your project from our preferred suppliers or third party suppliers
- Installation and training
- On-going assistance with data interpretation and equipment maintenance
- Data correction and analysis, including statistical analysis with the R-package
- Report and publication preparation including tables, figures, graphs, and manuscript writing
advanced data collection and management solutions
Edaphic Scientific recognises the need for flexible and adaptable sensor and data logging solutions for experimental or environmental monitoring projects.
Data can be downloaded directly in the field from data loggers. A direct connection between the data loggers and your computer, via a USB cable, can be used for manual downloading of data.
Alternatively, data can be downloaded over the internet on your iPhone, iPad or desktop computer with the Eagle.io cloud-based, data management software solutions. Through this remote based downloading capabilities, you can download, view and manage your data, and system, anywhere in the world and at anytime.
|Dimensions||Total Length: 147 cm DCT length: 63.5 cm DCT (Inside) Diameter: 25.4 cm Reservoir Length: 81.3 cm Reservoir (outside) Diameter: 11.5 cm Access Tube Length: 180 cm standard, customizable Access Tube, Outside Diameteter: 6.0 cm (2" schedule 40 PVC) Sample Evacuation Tube: 1.27 cm OD X 0.79 cm ID X 3 m length; custom lenghts available upon request Mass: 20 kg with Stainless Steel DCT, 14 kg with PVC DCT|
|Drainage||0-61 mm bottom of wick and 61-100 mm top of reservoir chamber|
|Water Depth||0 to 3.5 m|
|Electrical Conductivity||0 to 120 dS/m|
|Temperature||-11 to 49°C|
|Water Depth||0.5 mm|
|Electrical Conductivity||0.001 dS/m|
|Depth||0.1 % of full scale @ 20 °C|
|Electrical Conductivity||0.01 dS/m or + 10 % (whichever is greater)|
|Suction at Intake||110 cm (11 kPa)|
|Solution Collection Capacity||3.1 L (6.1 cm of drainage) to bottom of wick. Additional 5.1 L (10 cm of drainage) of reserve capacity in wick chamber|
|Collection Surface Area||507 cm2 (25.4 cm inside diameter)|
|Wetted Material||DCT (standard): 304 Stainless Steel 11 gauge DCT (optional intert material): PVC Wick: dry fired fiberglass Root Inhibitor: Treflan (BioBarrierTM), removable Sample Evacuation Tube: Polyethylene Hydraulic Bridge Material: Diatomaceous Earth (DE) All Other Parts: PVC|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 50°C (Pressure transducer cannot be allowed to freeze while submersed.)|
|Power Requirements||3.6 - 15 VDC, 0.03 mA quiescent, 0.5 mA during 300 ms measurement|
|Measurement Time||300 ms (milliseconds)|
|Cable Length||10 m standard; custom lengths available upon request|
|Data Logger Compatibility||Any SDI-12 data logger|
manual & docs